Desborough Branch Labour Party
Desborough - moving forward with Labour
So what did happen when the Conservatives last had control of Desborough Town Council?
- In 2016 the local tax (Parish Precept) was increased by over 400%.
- In a Parish Poll, held in June 2016, over 2000 people supported a vote of ‘No Confidence’ in the Town Council.
- In February 2018 eight Conservative Councillors resigned leaving the Town Council unable to function with only two members.
- Between 2016 and 2021 a total of 16 people resigned from Desborough Town Council.
Desborough Town Council has been Labour controlled since May 2021 and, in just over a year, we have seen –
- The new CCTV cameras are up and running in 12 locations across the town.
- A very successful Platinum Jubilee event was held in the Recreation Ground.
- New play equipment has been installed in the Braybrooke Road play park .
- A new Sainsbury’s store is under construction.
- £50,000 has been set aside for Youth Initiatives in the town.
- Work on the one-way system in Gladstone Street is due to start very soon.
- Work is progressing on the ‘Neighbourhood Plan’.
- The right of all Desborough residents to speak at Council meetings restored.
Moving forward Labour will seek to – Re-build trust, Regain respect, Restore confidence and get on with the job on behalf of the whole community.