Democracy in Desborough
What has happened to our, once thriving, democracy in Desborough? Desborough Branch Labour Party
Democracy in Desborough
This item started out as a question on our Q & A page but it has stirred up so much comment, and controversy, that it deserves a page to itself.
The original question and response is printed below –
Q. We have been asked about – the lack of candidates for the Desborough Town Council
A. There will be no Town Council election in the Loatland Ward as only two people have offered themselves as candidates and there are six seats on the Council. (Important elections to the North Northants Council and the Fire, Police and Crime Commissioner will go ahead)
Only three sitting Councillors are seeking re-election to the Town Council (all in the St Giles Ward)
In 2015 twelve councillors were elected and in 2018 ten councillors were elected. Of these twenty two elected Councillors only one is standing this time around.
- Why is this?
- Why have the Conservatives abandoned Desborough (only 2 candidates for 12 seats on the Town Council and none of the 3 North Northants Council candidates are standing for the Town Council)?
- What happened to ‘taking party politics out of local government’ (There are no Independent candidates standing for the Town Council)?
- Why have so many people simply walked away?
- What has happened to our, once thriving, local democracy?
Well we can all have our theories but why do you think this is?
Join the discussion –
This matter is a very real issue for the town as we go through the biggest changes in local government for over 40 years. Desborough people deserve some answers and anyone can make a comment (anonymously) by clicking on the ‘Q and A Comment’ button at the bottom of this page. (Your comments may be shared with others on this page.)
Or, if you are happy to give your name and personal details you can make a comment by clicking on the ‘Labour Listens’ button. We will not disclose your name or personal details but your comments may be shared with others on this page.
You can also comment on our facebook page Facebook.com/Desboroughlabour
A selection of comments (they have been numbered to make it easier to comment on a comment if you wish) –
1. ‘The Conservatives failed to listen to local people and then ran away. They wanted to close the Library and put our council tax up so we have to pay more and get less’.
2. ‘We need more young people on the council.
3. ‘I don’t blame people not standing as candidates you just get abuse’.
4. A few scathing comments about Social Media – ‘Corrosive effect’ ‘Malicious megaphone’ ‘Keyboard warriors’ etc
5. ‘Conservative councillors were hounded and harassed prior to the Independents for Desborough taking over the council. They knew what needed to be done!!! Has anything improved with them in charge??? No’
- Yes, Independents for Desborough offered a whole new sort of council without party politics. What happened to them?
(Thank you for your thoughts, more of your comments will be added soon)